Officials in the eastern part of congo say 15 people were killed after a heavy downpour

North Kivu provincial official Roger Malinga said “We are recording enormous damage,  practically it is a disaster. We have just removed 15 bodies from these waters,”.

Faustin Kasole, a civil society leader in the region explained that  rains on Thursday caused a river to overflow, adding that one village had been entirely wiped off the map.”

Kasole,  said his expectation was that the death toll would be much larger, given that the search for bodies had taken place in the dark overnight and was continuing.