A mother of three, simply identified as Mama Esther, has been hospitalized after she slumped when her shop was demolished by officials of the Police Officers’ Wives Association.

It was gathered that POWA had given the tenants in its market at Pedro in the Somolu area of Lagos State a two-week notice to vacate the premises for demolition.

NEWSNAIJA learned that the demolition was to clear way for the construction of an ultra-modern market at the site by a developer.

However, at the expiration of the two-week notice on Thursday, April 8, 2021, shops in the market were demolished.

It was learned that Mama Esther slumped when she got to the market and saw the wreckage of her shop and goods.

One of the traders in the market,  identified as Dupe Audu, said all plead  to extend the vacation notice fell on deaf ears of POWA officials as they threatened to make sure  the transfer of their husbands to the North-East if they refused to vacate the market.

The trader   said, “We were surprised to see the POWA officials in the market when they came to give us the notice. They went around the market and when they came back to address us, they said we should all vacate our shops, because they wanted to rebuild the market.

“When we asked them to give us time to get a better place, we were told to leave within two weeks or our goods would be thrown out and the shops would be demolished on our heads. We thought it was a joke. We were also asked to pay N700,000 each if we wanted to get our shops back after the market had been rebuilt.

“We were still looking for space when they came to the market and started removing the roofs and demolishing shops; they also threatened policemen’s wives, who were in the market, that if they didn’t vacate their shops, their husbands would be transferred to Maiduguri and other states in the North-East.”

Another trader, known as Zainab Busari, who alleged that they were not given written notice, said the POWA officials were accompanied by the Divisional Police Officer of the Pedro Police Station.

Busari,  stated, “When the POWA officials stormed the market on the day, it was like a war; everybody was running helter-skelter. A few minutes later, we saw some people removing the roofs and pulling down the shops; some traders’ goods were thrown on the road.

“We were not given an official notice of two weeks; we were just told verbally that they were coming back in two weeks and when they eventually arrived, the Divisional Police Officer of the Pedro Police Station accompanied the POWA officials when they were carrying out the demolition. We are not saying we are not leaving the market, but they should give us more time to get a better place.

“One of the traders, whose shop was demolished with her goods inside, was rushed to hospital after she slumped. They should have mercy on us, because that’s where we make our livelihoods and support our husbands.”