A gas explosion has rocked the Baruwa community, in the Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State and claimed the lives of eight people.

The explosion was reported to have emerged from a cooking gas station known as the Best Roof Cooking Gas, around 5.45 am on Thursday.

Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, The Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, said the agency’s emergency response unit had been sent to the area, adding that the explosion razed down houses, shops, and a primary school.

Oke-Osanyintolu,  said, “The explosion occurred and the agency activated a response plan. Initial disaster assessment is as follows, casualties still being assessed but eight fatalities have been identified so far. 25 houses that are mostly bungalows, 16 lock-up shops, and one primary school have been affected.

He said “Firefighters and rescue workers are operating at the incident scene. The gas leakage has been identified and contained. Damping down is ongoing.

The LASMA Boss said the post-disaster assessment will be carried out and further updates would be provided.