A nine-year-old girl name withheld has died after her mother applied a pesticide, Sniper, on her hair to kill lice.

Dr. Gloria Nwosu, a pediatrician at the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital, made this known this in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, while addressing journalists on Thursday.

Nwosu said the woman followed the advice of her hairdresser and put the pesticide on two of her daughters, aged nine and four.

Nwosu, stated that the nine-year-old convulsed for hours before giving up the ghost, but the doctors were able to save the four-year-old.

She said “Their mother felt that the hairdresser would know what to do since it has to do with lice. We did everything we could to bring the child back to normal, but it was all abortive.

The Dr. stated that the deceased was very sick, second child slumped in our presence and we immediately admitted her and gave her an antidote. So, the question now is how many of these children may have gone through this?” she asked. Adding that the insecticide damaged the girl’s brain.

Nwosu said, “It affected her brain because she convulsed for over two hours. Now, there is something we do to check for oxygen saturation; it remained low. It never went back to normal. Then they can have something coming out from their mouth. This child kept pouring out saliva. It never went off until she passed on.,

the paediatrician added  that “They also have high blood pressure. This child’s blood pressure was high. We saw all those symptoms on this child,”.

The Dr. called for stonger  regulatory measures to be put in place to checkmate harmful chemicals.